Home » News » Features » President's Message
Message from WACS President
A Fruitful First 40 days
Monday, 14 July 2008
Since the Presidium has been elected, we’ve been putting our heads together to figure out the next steps of the World Association of Chefs Societies. Here are a couple of things we have been working on.
Applications for Committee Work
I was very happy to see the enthusiasm to our call for members to send applications for the 24 seats in our committees. In all, we received 45 applications. The feedback we received regarding our initiatives for the committees was tremendous and I would like to thank everyone that has sent us positive words about our intention for these committees. We will formally announce on the WACS website, the committee members that have been chosen after our Board meeting in South Africa which is between the 12th and 15th of July. We will also put up their profiles and a short description of what they will be working on in the next while.
Upcoming Board Meeting
From the 12th to the 15th of July, we will hold our first board meeting in Johannesburg, South Africa. As many of you know, Dr. Bill Gallagher announced at the Congress in Dubai that he would like to travel less to our meetings and spend more time with his family. As this meeting will be one of the most important ones, we really wanted him to be a part of the meeting and so, we decided to travel to Bill so that he could take part in our first meeting. His words and wisdom regarding WACS are very important and, with this decision, the board wants to honour him for all the good work he has done for WACS. I am also very happy that we will have almost full attendance from the Board to this meeting as well as all the committee Chairmen and the two juniors that I have appointed to work with us.
We will be happy to inform you about the outcome of this meeting via our website and with that, we hope that you will get our information faster, stay tuned on the WACS website and follow the news. We’ll be adding a link on the website called Meetings with future links to minutes so keep an eye out there if you’re interested in following WACS’s board meetings in detail.
But if you’re not interested in looking through the minutes, we will also be putting out press releases with information on the decisions we will make.
As always, please feel free to contact anyone on the board, especially your Continental Directors, if you’d like to give feedback about our ideas.
Bocuse d´Or Europe in Norway
Finally, I want to say that I had the Honour to be a guest at the Bocuse d´Or Europe in Stavanger at the beginning of July. Stavanger is a beautiful city that has become one of the most important gastronomic towns in the Nordic countries area. I will attend another great event there again from the 23rd to the 27th of July when students from different areas of Canada and the Nordic Countries will come together for the World Junior Culinary Exchange.
Seeing and taking part in the Bocuse d´Or Europe is very inspiring and I know my friends in Asia have said the same. With Paul Bocuse and many other internationally recognised chefs attending, including our Honorary President, Dr. Bill Gallagher, I felt that it was time that WACS got involved with the Bocuse d´Or and I felt that they too have the desire to with us. I believe you will see more cooperation between WACS and the Bocuse d´Or in the future and I welcome that with all my heart.
It is with pride that I also tell you that the Nordic Countries came within the first 6 places. Norway was the winner. Knowing the chefs from the Nordic countries, I know that they are always ready to share their knowledge with you all and I urge you to get in contact with them and learn and share your friendship as well.
My dear colleagues, until next month, have a great summer.
- The world is changing and so must we. added 18 March 2013
- Get ready for an exiting year: added 14 January 2013
- Dear friends and colleagues, added 19 December 2012
- Dear chefs around the world added 16 November 2012
- Culinary October added 17 October 2012
- International Chefs Day 2012 Focus on "How to Feed the Planet in the Future" added 10 September 2012
- Are we using our time right? added 24 August 2012
- A Step Forward added 15 June 2012
- Thank you for a congress to be remembered added 15 May 2012
- WACS is Bringing Worlds Together added 11 April 2012
- The Crossroad added 16 February 2012
- Our Responsibility as WACS Members added 13 January 2012
- Looking Back and Looking Forward added 21 December 2011
- Education is Our Future added 21 November 2011
- A Focus On Sustainable Cuisine For The Year 2011 And International Chefs Day added 04 October 2011
- World Chefs Tour Against Hunger added 16 August 2011
- The Road Ahead added 08 July 2011
- added 13 June 2011
- A FOCUS ON SUSTAINABLE CUISINE FOR THE YEAR 2011 AND INTERNATIONAL CHEFS DAY added 01 May 2011
- added 11 February 2011
- "Busy Times for Busy People" added 12 November 2010
- Do we really care? added 08 October 2010
- Support added 15 July 2010
- "Go Green with Chefs" added 11 May 2010
- From the Land of Fire and Ice added 19 April 2010
- "World Chefs Without Borders" added 09 March 2010
- Gracias - Thank You - Merci - Danke -Takk! added 12 February 2010
- Raising Membership Awareness added 12 January 2010
- Food For Thoughts Over the Holiday Season added 11 December 2009
- A NEW WEBSITE! added 28 September 2009
- August Message from President added 31 July 2009
- A Wonderful Summer Beginning added 02 July 2009
- 34 Weeks to Go. Are We Ready? added 01 June 2009
- We Are on the Right Path! added 29 April 2009
- Can you feel it? I do! added 13 March 2009
- An Action Packed Month added 14 February 2009
- Great Start to a New Year! added 15 January 2009
- When in Rome added 05 December 2008
- Good Things Come in Small Packages added 17 November 2008
- There is Light at the End of the Tunnel added 23 October 2008
- Four Countries: One Language added 23 September 2008
- Board meets in Johannesburg added 22 August 2008
- Gissur Gudmundsson 2nd Message added 11 June 2008
- Gissur Gudmundsson 1st Message added 23 May 2008